Friday, November 16, 2007

What is going on with me!

I have been writing a lot about what I have learned, so I thought I do a little about what I have been doing and how I have been feeling. I have learned how to take the bus to the Hogar, but I havent managed to get get off the bus gracefully once. I always bump my head and hit someone with my backpack. These are mini buses and they cram as many seats into them as they can so its difficult to move without bumping into someone. We have also learned where the supermarket it, where we can go to change our money, where to buy phone cards, and where to send mail. We live very close to the central plaza in Cusco that is surrounded by churches on two sides and restaurants and stores on the other. It is very pretty at night with all the lights. When we arrived in our apartment, it hit me that this was going to be my home for the next two years and that was scary. It is difficult to adjust to a new place and its daunting because you think you will never get and will be lost forever. I know little by little we will both learn our way around the city and even make a couple of friends. Catherine and I get along very well and it is nice to have soemone to share your experience with and who is also going through similiar things. The city is so beautiful and the people are extremely nice, so we know we can always turn to someone when we need something, which happens a lot. I am excited to get to know the programs better and to be able to participate in everything that goes on. We are getting Spanish classes, which are very helpful. Being around the girls also helps me to put perspective on things, because I konw they have been through so much in their short lives. Knowing that I can help to take some of that pain away, even for a little while, is motivating. They are always willing to play and talk, so I know I will have a friend in them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Meghan,
Sounds as if you are having an amazing time in Peru. Your pics at snapfish are really wonderful. The ones of downtown Lima at dusk are extraordinary.
Does this blog and the pics mean that your REALLY into convergence?
Best wishes,
Cathy Yungmann

Maria said...

Meg,
You are the best role model for those girls! Keep it up!
Love and prayers,
Maria

Meghan Hurley said...

Cathy,

You know I take convergence with me wherever I go!

Meghan