Thursday, May 29, 2008

It's been a long time coming...

So it's been quite some time since my last blog, but my free time has been extremely limited. All of March I spent on crutches after I tore a ligament in my ankle. In April my community member Catherine returned home to the United States and since then I have been trying to adjust to life alone in Cusco. And, all of May I have been sitting at the cash register of the bakery where I work from 8 in the morning until 9 at night, which doesn't leave much time for anything else. I will be finished with this schedule the end of this week, and I could not be happier. I have learned that accounting and cashregistering are not my calling and this area of work is much better off without me. I think everyone will be happy when the normal cash register lady, Betty, comes back, because since I started, we have been short money almost every single day. An accomplishment, but not one that I am too proud of. I hope to return to a normal schedule and to be able to have time to explore what Cusco has to offer. In other news, I have finally been approved for my resident visa, and after one more trip to Bolivia, I will officially have temporary residency in Peru. The biggest benefit of this is that I can enter all the tourist sites without having to pay because technically I am Peruvian. I hope this updates everyone a little bit and I will try to ot up more posts soon. Peace!

3 comments:

stacebulls said...

FINALLY!!! Liz was starting to worry about you...lol...

There is a reason you were a communications major and not a math major, Meg. I know how you feel. I sit in meetings everyday where people are thowing around numbers and I'm like - HEY! I'm in communications not finance so don't be asking me any questions!!

missing you TONS and TONS!

much love and luck to you sista!

Maria said...

finally! i check this thing religiously... and i kept seeing my name in the first line, so i knew it was old.
yay for new posts!
great to read about your adventures, but i did get a little personal taste of your emailing a while back. i hope all is well.

love you!

Jerry Zurek said...

Hi Meg,
So happy to hear from you again. We all were wondering what had happened. First of all, congratulations on winning the CRS Egan award for reporting! Did you see the judges were from the Washington Post and AP! Wow! major award! Congratulations to you and Amanda!

Just got back from El Salvador where we did some major planning about bringing our SEM 300s every year. Learned so much and got a taste of the country you spent the summer in. I am busy posting photos and recovering from Montezuma's revenge.

Great that Mary will be seeing you next week. I'll send some Loquiturs.

Miss you!
JZ